The Botanical Garden of Padua was founded in 1545 and is the oldest university botanical garden in the world. It is located in the heart of the city, not far from Prato della Valle, between the Basilica of St. Anthony and the Basilica of Santa Giustina.
Created for the study of medicinal plants, the Garden has played a prominent role in the understanding of the relationship between nature and culture, and over the centuries has been continuously enriched with plants from various parts of the world, and today contains some 3,500 different species.
It was inscribed on the World Heritage List in 1997 with the following motivation: ‘The Botanical Garden of Padua is at the origin of all botanical gardens in the world and represents the cradle of science, scientific exchange and understanding of the relationship between nature and culture. It has greatly contributed to the advancement of many modern scientific disciplines, in particular botany, medicine, chemistry, ecology and pharmacy’.
In 2014, the Antique Garden was joined by the Garden of Biodiversity: five large greenhouses dedicated to as many climatic environments and 1,300 species that tell the story of the earth’s extraordinary vegetation.