Vidor, historic buildings and the Piave river
The municipality of Vidor extends in the western part of the Quartier del Piave and includes the hamlets of Colbertaldo and Bosco di Vidor. Inhabited since prehistoric times, as some findings document, it became important in medieval times thanks to its river port, castle and abbey, built in 1100, thanks to the presence of the feudal nobility. In the nineteenth century Vidor saw an industrial development with brick kilns, mechanical workshops and the famous Zadra spinning mills. During the First World War Vidor was on the front line: the bridge was blown up and the country was almost totally destroyed, causing the emigration of many men to richer countries. Currently this area is intensely cultivated and marked by a building development that has radically changed the landscape. Today Vidor is also known for its wine production.
The Abbey of Santa Bona
the church of the abbey complex, characterized by the sobriety and simplicity typical of the Roman style, has a single nave with two side altars dedicated respectively to San Benedetto and San Girolamo. The high altar dating back to 1592, housed the relics of the Egyptian saint Bona, hence the name of the abbey itself. Due to the damage caused by the 1st World War to the church and its furnishings, the venerated remains were transferred to Verona, until the restoration was completed in 1940. They were then able to return to the church of Santa Bona, where they were welcomed with solemn ceremonies. The base of the bell tower dates back to the 13th century, while the upper part has been completely rebuilt.Founded between 1106 and 1110, the abbey of Santa Bona owes its origins to the substantial donations of some crusaders belonging to the Vidorese nobility to the monks Benedictines. The monastic complex, to whose primitive complex belong the church, the bell tower, the cloister, the sacristy and the chapter room, soon became the fulcrum of the intense reclamation work that affected the entire area in medieval times. the political power and the misconduct of some abbots made the monastery’s authority and fame disappear, which already during the fourteenth century was considered a place where dissolute life was led, as confirmed by an inspection. of various noble families of the province, the abbey was soon entrusted in commendation, up to the final suppression in 1773. Its assets were auctioned and acquired by the noble Niccolò Erizzo, who, with his heirs, then also provided to the renovation and expansion of the abbey complex. Half-destroyed by the bombings of World War I, the abbey of Santa Bona was radically restored and sold to the family da Sacco, who still owns it. Due to its beauty and value, the monastic complex is part of the historical and artistic heritage of the Veneto region.
The Cloister of the Abbey of Santa Bona
the cloister of the abbey of Santa Bona is built on a square plan, closed on the sides by walls that support a series of stone columns with capitals that differ in the variety of decorative motifs. Particular are the four corner columns, which for the decorative elements are reminiscent of those of the monastery of Follina. The southern part is embellished by the presence of a large fresco of the fifteenth century that represents “The Virgin enthroned with Jesus blessing between San Giovanni Battista and San Girolamo”.
The Archpriest Church Of Vidor
the archpriest church, dedicated to the Holy Name of Mary, has a single central nave and numerous side altars dating back to the eighteenth century. The high altar, built with Carrara marble, is surmounted by a tabernacle with two angels on either side, probably by Canova or in any case by his school. The church was built to replace the ancient church of Santa Maria del Castello, which was located on the top of the hill, the new construction was born from the project of architect Giovanni Rossi. Originally in neoclassical style, it underwent a radical modification following the damage caused by the First World War.
The Parish of Colbertaldo
in its current structure, the church with its facade entirely of exposed brick decorated in many respects resumes the previous building. The interior has a single nave. The sculptures that adorn the altars are attributable to artists from Val Gardena. Originally it was the chapel of the homonymous castle of Sant’Andrea. It was subsequently restored and enlarged between the eighteenth and nineteenth centuries, so that its initial appearance was completely changed. After the destruction following the First World War, the church was completely rebuilt.
The Sanctuary of the Madonna Delle Grazie
The sanctuary was built on the arrival of alc in Colbertaldo
a servant of Mary of the monastery of Santa Caterina in Treviso, following the spread of an epidemic of black plague. They, spared the contagion, began to consider an icon of the Virgin thaumaturgical, probably kept in a small local oratory. The monastic community lived thanks to donations and bequests and made the new convent, built between 1520 and 1530, its permanent home. The monastery alternated moments of poverty with years of relative prosperity, although it never reached the grandeur of other nearby foundations. During the eighteenth century, however, there was a rapid decline also caused by disputes and disputes with the parish of Colbertaldo. The convent itself was therefore suppressed in 1776 by the government of the Serenissima of Venice; the goods were delivered to the parish of Colbertaldo and from this moment the sanctuary was renamed “hospice”. The abandonment of the building caused it to fall into disuse and at the end of the nineteenth century it became a hospital for patients with cholera.
Recently renovated, the sanctuary is currently a destination for trips and excursions. Of particular interest is the fresco entitled “Madonna with Child and the Annunciation”, attributable to a local artist of the sixteenth century.
The War Memorial Church
built entirely in romantic style, the church, dedicated to the Blessed Virgin of Sorrows, is preceded by a portico. The remains of the fallen of Vidor are kept in the crypt inside. Also on the facade of the temple you can admire the statue of the winged victory, the work of the Venetian sculptor Martinuzzi. History: the hilly site where the war memorial church is now located was the site of the castle and the adjacent church dedicated to the Nativity of Mary. Following the destruction of the castle, which took place in 1510, and until 1748, the year in which the archpriest was completed, the church remained the archpriest of Vidor. At first stripped of its furnishings and then transformed into an oratory, it was totally destroyed during the First World War. On its ruins was born the church monument to the fallen, the work of the Venetian Brenno Del Giudice.
The Vidor Bridge
the realization of this work is due to the joint contribution of the neighboring municipalities, which formed a consortium for this purpose. Francesco Maniscalchi, first mayor of the Italian Vidor, started the works in 1871 to connect the bank of the municipality with the town of Bigolino. Destroyed several times by the floods of the river, it was demolished in 1912. Only a year earlier a stone bridge had been built, which was also demolished in 1917 to prevent the Austrians from crossing the defensive line on the Piave.
Height: mt / s.l.m .: 152
Surface: km / q: 13.56